Friday 21 July 2023

*** REVIEW *** HEARTBREAKER by Julie Garwood

 

 

 

“Bless me father, for I will sin. . . .” In the still shadows of the confessional, a madman tauntingly reveals his plan for a murder he is going to commit, pulling Father Thomas Madden into a twisted game by disclosing his next intended Tom’s sister, Laurant. In a frantic race to protect her, Tom calls upon his best friend, elite FBI agent Nick Buchanan, to track the predator who is closing in on Laurant. Now, as an electrifying attraction grows between Laurant and Nick, so does the danger—and one false move will cost both of them everything that matters.

 

Sadly Julie Garwood passed away this year. Many of her books have been on my TBR list for several years. It is time for me to binge on some of her series.

 

Father Thomas Madden hears the confession of a man bragging about a murder he is about to commit. As horrific as that is, the next victim is Madden's sister Laurent. Father Tom was committed to keeping the sins of the confessional private until the confessor demanded that he tell the police. Father Tom calls his best friend, FBI Special Agent Nick Buchanan. Nick immediately turns his time off to a working vacation as he signs on the help Tom and Laurent. The group quickly relocates to the small town of Holy Oaks, Iowa, where Laurent lives. 


Heartbreaker has many elements that I love in a romantic suspense story. The romance between Laurent and Nick is a slow burn, even though the initial spark is hot. There is a good amount of action for the suspense lover. The pace is perfect to keep the reader turning the page and wanting more. Also, I didn't guess the killer. He took me by surprise. I love when that happens.


I'm not really into the "big brother's best friend" romance trope, but Garwood's twist was a pleasant surprise that made this work for me. I love small-town settings. Holy Oaks has an eclectic cast of characters that I enjoyed, especially the "nosy" sisters who live next door to Laurent. 


Noah Clayborn, a contract agent working with Nick, adds another level of excitement to the story. I enjoyed this character--a lot. He is funny at times while always serious about his mission. He also acts as Nick's conscience where Laurent is concerned. I hope to see him again in the series.


Except for a few slow parts in the story, I was pleased with this first book in the Buchanan-Renard Series. I look forward to seeing what happens next.  


I did a combination of reading and listening with whisper-sync. Tanya Eby is the five-star narrator of this book. I enjoyed what she brought to the story. Eby added dimension to the written word with her interpretation of the characters and the situations they traversed. She made this an excellent reading experience. 

 

4 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment