Wednesday 28 January 2015

**** REVIEW by Sharon *** of THE TRAVELING MAN by Jane Harvey-Berrick














I am so touched by The Traveling Man that I’m having a hard time starting this review so I’ll just start at the beginning.  “I was ordinary.  Nice.  He was extraordinary. And he wasn’t always nice.  But he was beautiful.”   What a great set up! 

The timetable for this story spans two eras of Aimee and Kes’ life.  Part one begins on Aimee’s tenth birthday and ends when she is seventeen.  The second part is a seven week adventure that begins eight years later with an unexpected reunion.   Don’t be put off by the long time lapse.  It's fast paced so the story flows beautifully and the switch from seventeen to twenty five is seamless and perfect. 

I had no idea what to expect or Jane’s plan of how to tell the story but they both managed to surprise me in a very positive way. This adventure is not predictable in any way and the unique setting of the traveling carnival world made for a very distinctive and fascinating atmosphere.

There aren’t many stories that make me feel the wide range of emotions when reading it like The Traveling Man does.  I can’t get the characters out of my head even now.   I must admit that when I read The End the first time I immediately went back to page one and started again.  There are a couple times I found myself holding my breath because I was sure Ms. Harvey-Berrick was taking the story down a conventional path but she didn't.  What a beautiful surprise that is.   I want to give you examples but I think it will give away major events in the story that are important to experience personally.  Just know that this is killing me not to be specific.  


The Traveling Man is about the beginning of  a young love for Aimee and Kes and how that love story evolves over the years.  It is told from Aimee’s point of view and believe me when I tell you that you will feel what Aimee feels.   Some of my emotions as I read:

Ah so sweet!
Then a high five with the book while I scream ---Yes!
Tears then Oh no!  Please don't go there.
What?  (My fist up ready to punch.)
Thank goodness!
Major tears and Nooooooo!  You're killing me!

Like I said you go through it all.

So let me start by telling you about my new favorite book boyfriend the tortured soul named Kestrel Donohue/Hawkins (Kes). (The name change is important.) Kes is a complex guy in my opinion.  Many people judge him inaccurately because he is severely dyslexic.  This is a powerfully written, carefully thought out character who grabbed my heart strings the first time he appeared on the page as a ten year old boy.  He’s far from perfect but he has a big heart and there are so many more positive and negative characteristics that I ascribe to him—loyal, committed, vulnerable, private, sometimes brooding, all the time a protector and to his detriment secretive.  Like I said a perfect book boyfriend. 

Kes is beautiful but he is a hard man to love.  “He could breathe fire, he could eat flames, but the word ‘love’ burned on his lips.”  Let’s face it there isn't a woman around who doesn’t need to hear “I love you” from the man who holds their heart.  Aimee isn’t any different.  The reader can feel Kes’ love for Aimee on every page and the pain he associates with love is also there.  His fear is explained but it hurts Aimee all the same.


I love how Jane describes Kes’ struggle with his dyslexia.  Anyone with a handicap can understand his attitude and I love the way Ms. Harvey-Berrick allows the reader to feel the insecurity and self-debasement that Kes experiences.  It breaks my heart thinking about it.

The other main character (I should have mentioned her first but Kes holds my heart right now) is Aimee.  What can I say about her?  Her strength, her courage and her sorrows all make her......her!  The young girl we see at the start of the story doesn’t have the happiest home life.  Her father is a bit of a tyrant and often strikes fear in the females in the household.  (Aimee, her older sister Jennifer and their mom)  Aimee’s strong will manifest from the get go.  She loves to read and gets lost in the fantasy of bookland.  When the carnival first comes to town Aimee stands strong against her father because she wants to visit the carnival for her tenth birthday.  Aimee wants to experience the magic first hand and magic is what she finds at the carnival with Kes. 

The ten year old Kes is drawn to Aimee as soon as he sees her walking around the carnival and he shares his world in a way she wouldn't see from the midway.  This little adventure leads to an instant bond and a recurring date every year.  As the year pass the magic grows for Aimee as well as a romance.  “If all we get is now, then I’ll take it. This way, he’ll always be my first time and I’ll always be his—and he’ll always be a part of me.”

The second part of the story, when the couple reconnects after eight years Aimee spends her summer with Kes.  Aimee is a teacher recovering from a breakup when the meet again.  The spark between Kes and Aimee is still there and it doesn't take much for Kes to convince Aimee to take the trip.  

Aimee has some issues with the carnie life. Her big problem is the lack of privacy. One of my favorite scenes is after Aimee realizes that people around the carnie know that she is having some HOT sex with Kes.  A Lot!  So hot that it is inspirational to the other couples they know.   “I thought you’d be mad if I left a hickey where everyone could see it, because apparently no one is supposed to know that we’re having hot, dirty sexy in here.”  I love this scene.  There are some really great really sensual scenes that make me melt.

While the story is about Aimee and Kes there is also an insight into so much more.  You will fall in love with most of the “family” that makes up the carnie team.  They are all unique and special each in their own way.  We see this life so clearly that I can close my eyes and drop right into the midway.  I can see the behind the scenes action as the team sets up and tears down the carnival.  I experience the thrill of the show from a front row seat.  Perfect!

Now that I’ve finished reading this book I have to say--again--that I love Kes.  I am totally convinced that Kes, Aimee and the rest of this carnie group truly exits somewhere and I would be more than happy to spend time with them. 

This is one of those books that just pulls you in, wraps you in its pages and holds on tight until the end. Did I get mad?? You betcha!! Did I cry?? Absolutely!! Do I want more yes, yes,yes?? My heart broke for Kes I feel his pain, Iit also broke for Aimee she is so very strong but finds herself in situations that almost break her. I want to strangle her parents several times.  I want to wrap these two people in my arms and assure them it's going to be alright.  God I love these characters.  

Clap, clap, clap!  Kudos to Jane Harvey-Berrick.  I am pleasantly surprised with this one! A really great read!  I can’t wait for the ending. Oh I forgot.  I do have one big issue, I have to wait several months for the next book in the series. There are a few questions that are not answered and keep pounding in my head.  Most of my questions are about Kes’s secrets.  However there are also questions that I still have for Aimee.   I can’t wait a day to get my much needed answers and hopefully a major HEA!










No comments:

Post a Comment