Thursday 25 April 2024

5 Star Review *** MURDER IN ROSE HILL by Victoria Thompson

 

Murder in Rose Hill by Victoria Thompson

 



At the beginning of Murder in Rose Hill, Louisa Rodgers stops by Sarah’s clinic to interview her about a story she plans to write for an infant magazine, New Century. Sarah is surprised because very few women writers were on staff at the turn of the 20th century. Louisa’s topic, also a surprise, is women’s health, focusing on the charlatans who manufacture patent medicines. Sarah shares Louisa’s concerns and cooperates, giving her information for the article. When Louisa’s father learns of her homicide, he hires Frank Malloy, through Sarah, to find the murderer. 

The mystery has many potential suspects. Even though I zeroed in on the actual killer early, I couldn’t cross off some suspects completely. I enjoyed following Sarah, Frank, and the team as they tracked down clues and finally revealed the killer. It was an incredible journey with fantastic characters. I love that we get an update on the main characters’ personal lives. They are delightful book friends that I enjoy visiting every year.

What I love about good historical authors is their ability to weave actual events seamlessly into their stories. Ms. Thompson gives us a taste of life at the turn of the twentieth century by painting a verbal picture of the haves and the have-nots during the era. It is a sad time for some women and people who are not wealthy. Their quest to achieve their goals is almost impossible.  Murder in Rose Hill is set in the fall of 1901. Behind the scenes, we learn President McKinley was shot. As vice president, Theodore Roosevelt had a good chance of moving into the presidency. Magazines are beginning to write exposés to shine a light on the corruption in the oil industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and the mistreatment of employees.  

I have been a big fan of the Gaslight Mystery series since I read the first book. As soon as I see the release date, I put the next book on my TBR list and calendar to order immediately.  While each book works as a standalone novel, a lot of the history of the characters and their struggle to get where they are is missed. 

I can’t wait to see where Victoria Thompson will take us in the next book. 

#Netgalley #VictoriaThompson


 

 

8 comments:

  1. It’s great to know about many things from your website blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s great to know about many things from your website blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Immensely thought out! This was the most detailed article

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will really appreciate the writer’s choice for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my matter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so pleased to locate the write-up I have actually been seeking for a long period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each & every tips of your post are awesome.

    ReplyDelete