Tuesday 28 February 2023

*** REVIEW *** UNDERCOVER BROMANCE by Lyssa Kay Adams

 


 Braden Mack thinks reading romance novels makes him an expert in love, but he’ll soon discover that real life is better than fiction. 

Liv Papandreas has a dream job as a pastry chef at Nashville’s hottest restaurant. Too bad the celebrity chef owner is less than charming behind kitchen doors. After she catches him harassing a young hostess, she confronts him and gets fired. Liv vows revenge, but she’ll need assistance to take on the powerful chef.

Unfortunately, that means turning to Braden Mack. When Liv’s blackballed from the restaurant scene, the charismatic nightclub entrepreneur offers to help expose her ex-boss, but she is suspicious of his motives. He’ll need to call in reinforcements: the Bromance Book Club.

Inspired by the romantic suspense novel they’re reading, the book club assists Liv in setting up a sting operation to take down the chef. But they’re just as eager to help Mack figure out the way to Liv’s heart... even though she’s determined to squelch the sparks between them before she gets burned.

 


3.5 Stars

Overall, I liked this book even though some things didn’t work for me. Undercover Bromance is an enemies-to-lovers story (one of my favorite tropes) with a bit of romantic suspense (my favorite trope) thrown in for good measure.

Braden and Liv are the featured characters in this story. Braden Mack, night club owner and the founder of the Bromance Book Club, is back with his romance challenge. Liv Papandreas, Thea Scott’s sister from book one, has always dreamed of being a pastry chef. She believes that her current job working for a celebrity chef is her stepping stone to owning her own place. Unfortunately, she is fired when she calls Royce Preston out for harassing the hostess. Liv is now on his blacklist, and her chances of getting another job are nearly zero.

“Mack” wants a committed relationship but shoots himself in the foot whenever he gets close. Mack’s background is shared in this story which explains a lot. It also explains why he wants to help Liv. By the end of this book, I really loved Mack. He is always prepared to go the extra mile for his friends. I love how he is ready to take on Liv’s former boss, regardless of the impact on him.

Liv is mostly ugh. I wasn’t a big fan of hers in book one. Undercover Bromance doesn’t do too much to redeem her in my eyes. I do understand her better. However, she still has that “poor me and my past” attitude, so watch me strike back at everyone, especially men. I did feel bad and a little teary when she revealed a comment her father made to her. It had to hurt, but does it explain enough? I’m not sure. I’ll admit that my feelings towards Liv started to change, and then she struck out at Mack for a stupid reason. It knocked her back to where she was at the start of this book. I wasn’t too crazy about how she treated her best friend, either. Unless you walk in the shoes of another, be careful judging their actions, Liv.

Liv aside, my biggest complaint is that Lyssa Kay Adams has her heroines react badly to the "secrets" the hero has. I understand why Mack did what he did. It made sense, and Liv's reaction was ridiculous. It is one of my pet peeves about so many romance books. Maybe Liv works for many readers, especially if they are younger readers. For me, Liv’s reaction to Mack is over the top, and the fact that she wouldn’t talk to him put me off...AGAIN. My heart broke for Mack, yet he still didn’t give up.

Everyone, including authors, should know that good communication is necessary for a strong relationship. Maybe the next book in the series will have a better conflict now that Liv is out of the picture…I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment