Monday 15 June 2015

*** REVIEW THE TALENTED MR. MAXWELL *** BY Julia Harlow




 
Dorrie Applegate just stumbled into a career-launching opportunity. The small-town Kentucky girl landed a gem of a position at Omni Publishing in New York City. Her first major assignment—writing a biography of one of the most sought-after male models in the world.

Grant Maxwell is at the apex of his career. Unfortunately the end of his run looms before him. At thirty-four, scores of younger, hungrier models nip at his heels, vying for his spot at the pinnacle of the fashion realm. And he has no earthly idea what to do next.

In the midst of an unlikely and tumultuous love affair with Grant, Dorrie is suddenly forced into making an agonizing decision. It’s a decision that shatters Grant’s heart.

Step onto the volatile runway of fashion modeling packed to the hilt with clashing egos, impossibly gorgeous men, backstabbing, and biting jealousy. And caught in the snare of the dramatic intrigue? Dorrie Applegate and Grant Maxwell


This is the first book I’ve read by Julia Harlow and it is a good reading experience.  I’ve moved her into the column of authors that I will watch to see what she writes in the future.
The story is about Dorrie Applegate, a young woman building her career in the publishing business and Grant Maxwell, a very successful model.  The couple meet when Dorrie is given an assignment to interview Mr. Maxwell—well that isn’t completely true.  Dorrie met him before but she didn’t know who he was.  The interview soon turns into a relationship that is full of ups and downs, angst and pain then finally a good HEA.
There are many things that I really like about this book and a few things that didn’t sit quite right for me. 

What I liked:

ü  I like the way the story is told.  It is written in third person and gives us an unbiased view of the events.  I know a lot of people claim to not like the third person POV but for me it is more informative.  We aren’t confined in the minds and hearts of the hero or heroine.  Because we can see events from the viewpoint of an unbiased observer so to speak we can understand the whys a little more than the very limited and subjective observations of the main character. 

ü  I like the premise of the story.  The world of modeling and publishing collide here.  The book is well written.  It is fun to see Dorrie as she experiences assignments from the first one and all the awe it expired to the way her relationship grew so quickly with Grant.  There is real chemistry between these two characters and the reader is right in the mist of their relationship as it unfolds. 

ü  The characters are very realistic and believable.  The relationship that is an instant attraction is also believable.  I didn’t question for a minute why these two are attracted to one another and why they easily feel in love so quickly. 

o   I like Dorrie.  She isn’t a wimpy girly girl.  Dorrie is a strong, smart, and curvy young woman.  She is the type of heroine I like.  She spends time in a very high powered and fairy tale like world and yet keeps her feet on the ground and doesn’t change. 

o   Grant Maxwell is a very successful, hot, home body.  He isn’t the typical model type that I imagine.  He is funny and considerate lover.  In other words, he is my kind of book boyfriend.  I really like this guy.

What I didn’t like:

ü  Some of the events in the story just didn’t click with how the characters are initially  developed.  Dorrie is put in a position where she has to decide if she can be blackmailed.  Her decision just didn’t click with the person I think Dorrie is.  Her decision and actions threw me for a loop.  Even now, as I reflect on the entire book I still don’t get it. 

ü  Like Dorrie, Grant’s character makes some unexpected decisions.  It is hard for me to see how a man so involved and in love with one person moves on and into another relationship so quickly.  His decisions here highlights all the things that don’t fit in typical instata-love story arcs. 

In summary, the “didn’t likes” are not enough to ruin the story.  In the end I could hand wave them aside because the author clearly showed the downside of making bad decisions, even if the decision is made for the right reasons.  There is love, pain, and suffering but there is also forgiveness.  It is the ability to forgive that can open a new chapter in a love story. 

I like Dorrie and Grant.   I like their story.   The book is fast paced and an easy read.  If you are sitting on the beach (or in your favorite reading chair) the story that Julia Harlow weaves will take you to another place.  I recommend it.


 4 STAMPS






No comments:

Post a Comment