Thursday 11 May 2017

*** SERIES REVIEW *** BILLIONAIRE BAD BOYS by Carly Phillips



 

 Meet Kaden Barnes.

Alpha-licious in the most unexpected ways, Kaden Barnes always gets what he wants.

Enigmatic and exacting, he's unable to keep an assistant for long. Until Lexie Parker arrives. She's no-nonsense, efficient and all business… She’s also hot as sin and soon starring in Kaden's dirtiest fantasies.

When their passion for each other reaches a boiling point, Kaden may think he’s calling the shots, but for this billionaire bad boy, going down easy has never felt so good.


Review Going Down Easy

What can I say except I’m a fan of Carly Phillips.  It doesn’t matter if she is writing on her own or collaborating with another author, I purchase any book with her name on it.  Her stories and characters stay with me and make me want more. 

When I received notice of the ARC for Going In Deep, I thought the series sounded familiar.  I looked at my bookshelf and realized I purchased the first two books (Going Down Easy and Going Down Fast) in this series at Shameless Book Con last year and never read them, so I got right to work.    

Going Down Easy is the first book in Carly Phillips’ Billionaire Bad Boy series. In Going Down Easy, Ms. Phillips creates a romance that works for me.  The two main characters, Kaden (Kade) Barnes and Lexie Randall are similar in many ways that make them click.  Kade is dealing with his own oddities, and Lexie deals with the emotional quirks of family members. 

Both Kade and Lexie have a lot of family issues that make life and relationships difficult.  Kade deals with abandonment issues, and Lexie deals with problems that result from being the emotional support for her family.  They both must learn how to open up and let someone in even if the potential outcome is pain and sorrow.    

The dialog among all the characters is well done and makes it easy for the reader to be emotionally invested in everyone.  This works well for the plan to feature the other principles in Blink (Derek and Lucas) in future books.  

In some ways, I thought I had it figured out how the story would play out.  I was right and wrong.  I guessed a little about who was going to play a significant role in the climax but incorrect how Ms. Phillips would write it.  I like that the players show a little maturity and a willingness to communicate.  Don’t get me wrong there is a little angst, and there is plenty that Kade and Lexie need to work through, but it is a realistic take on dealing with real-life issues.  

Another plus for me is that Going Down Easy doesn’t play out like many “billionaire” books.  The characters start as boss and employee, but it doesn’t turn into the endless push-pull of “I want you.  Oh no, I don’t” and then “ I’m going to make you enjoy my money whether you want it or not.”  

Going Down Easy can stand on its own.  If you don’t have the time for a series, get this book.  Carly Phillips doesn’t disappoint.  Her characters are lovable and flawed.  If you can you need to read as many of her stories as possible.  Now that all four books in the Billionaire Bad Boy Series are released I encourage you to jump on board and start reading.  You won’t be sorry.  

 

4 STAMPS





E-book
Print
Audio




Lucas Monroe dropped out of college only to become a multi-billionaire and tech world God. He can have any woman he desires in his bed, but the only woman he's ever wanted is off limits and always has been.

When Maxie Sullivan finds herself in dire straights, the only man she can turn to is the one she’s always secretly loved: her childhood best friend.

Can they trust their hearts and make a future, or will their complicated pasts stand in the way?

This bad boy is going down fast …
And going down fast has never felt so right.

The second stand-alone novel in the Billionaire Bad Boys series by New York Times Bestseller Carly Phillips.
 


Review Going Down Fast

Book two in the Billionaire Bad Boy Series is Going Down Fast.  Is the story of Lucas Monroe, the second partner in Blink a social media application that three friends successfully developed and marketed taking the three to billionaire status.

Lucas Monroe doesn’t have any problems finding women.  Most classify him as a playboy with a lot of women ready to step in as his plus one.  The problem for Lucas is the relationships never go anywhere because his heart belongs to a lady he can’t have, Maxie Sullivan who is married to another.

Maxie and Lucas were childhood friends.  They are friends still even though situations prevent them from spending too much time together.  Lucas still suffers from a hard childhood.  As a young boy, his brother is the golden child, and Lucas suffers from the constant comparison.  Lucas is the school geek and his brother, Keith is the school jock.  Even today, with all his success, Lucas never measures up to his brother in his parents’ mind no matter how hard he works or how much success he achieves.  

 Both main characters deal with a lot of personal pain.  Lucas can only be friends with the woman he loves because she is married to someone else.  Maxie is in a bad marriage to a drunk and a cheater.  She doesn’t let anyone know her pain until circumstances unfold that make it impossible for her to deny how miserable she is.  

Lucas Monroe is another loveable creation by Carly Phillips.  He is successful and goes out of his way to help his friends.  He is there when Maxie is alone and suffering and feels there is no hope.  

Maxie, like the other women in the series, is a strong woman who is working to overcome her many losses and mistakes.  She is willing to ask for and accept help, but her ultimate goal is to stand on her own for once.  Lucas steps in and learns how to give her space to stand strong.  It is an enjoyable learning experience for the characters and the reader.

I enjoy reading Going Down Fast.  Anyone who knows me knows that second chance romances and friends-to-lovers are some of my favorite scenarios.  Going Down Fast combines these favorites with a little suspense to make a most enjoyable read.  The only suggestion that would make the story a bit better for me is if there is more time with Lucas and his parents resolving their past.  Their treatment of him is a big part of his past.

Also, the ending brought about a quick resolution.  My guess is we will get a more of the couple in the next books. However, I wanted to experience more Lucas and Maxie.  Still, I liked the book enough to purchase the audio, and I’ll listen again when I need a good, entertaining romance.  Good job Carly.  Waiting for the next billionaire.  



4 STAMPS



 
 


E-book
Print
AUDIO





 A stand-alone Billionaire Bad Boys novel.

Billionaire Bad Boys: Rich, Powerful and sexy as hell.

Derek West rose from poverty to take the tech world by storm. He's sexy, confident and gets any woman he wants. And who he wants is Cassie Storm, the rich girl he’s never been good enough for.

She’s desperate to save her family company and there’s only one man who can help. But Derek isn’t interested in helping. He wants to possess both the company and the woman he’s never been able to forget.

His plan? To screw her out of his head. Except once he’s had a taste of Cassie, he doesn’t want to let her go. Her family remembers where he came from, and they won’t allow it. When the truth about their pasts comes to light, though, it may be Cassie who’s going down hard.



Review Going Down Hard

My favorite of the series by far.  Initially, I skipped Going Down Hard because it was getting close to the date I committed to have the review posted for Going In Deep.  I’m sorry I did.  Not because there is information in this book that is needed when reading book four but I posted that Going In Deep is my favorite.  That declaration has changed after reading this one.  

Why you ask?  This question is easy for me to answer.  First, I love the story line.  Derek West is a rags-to-riches guy.  He started as the son of a gardener and maid on a large estate and became a principle owner of a highly successful technology business among other interests.  He is a man who never forgets where he came from and pays it forward whenever he can.  He has a big heart.  His Achilles’ heel is the family his parents’ worked for years ago.  He can’t forget how they hurt his family.  He also can’t forget their daughter, Cassandra (Cassie).  She hurt him too.

Cassie Storm is the girl Derek craves as a teenager and the woman who still pulls him as a woman.  Cassie loves her family’s business and works hard to keep a promise to her grandfather that she will keep it going strong.  Unfortunately, her father isn’t the businessman her grandfather was and everything is falling apart.  She hopes Derek will give her a chance even though she knows he has more reasons to hate her than help her.

Both main characters are strong and lovable and they work perfectly as a couple.  They are cautious because of the past history they share but it is easy to see the good in the other person.   In Going Down Hard we see more of the great friendship the men of Blink have.  I like how they are a part of the story and we learn a little more about their relationships.  

I suspected what some of the angst would be and I like how the characters act in a mature manner.  Cassie’s parents surprised me a little by the end.  I was ready to hate them completely and that didn’t happen.  The epilogue is a little disappointing for me because I want to know more.  As it turns out I feel that way about all the players.  I can see the opportunity for another book with all the characters.  In the end, we know the most about Julian and Kendall.   

Like all the books in the series, Going Down Hard is a fast read.  It is fast paced and leaves the reader wanting the next book in the series.  The Billionaire Bad Boy series is one of my favorites from Carly Phillips.  I enjoyed the series so much, I immediately went back and purchased the audio books so I can listen to all of them again.  Every book in the series is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon and although there are hints about the other main characters, reading a single book or any book out of order, does not spoil anything.
 

5 STAMPS


  

 
E-book
Print
Audio



No comments:

Post a Comment